We provide incentives for mothers to give birth in hospitals by equipping them with care products and education they would not otherwise have.
Our simple gesture of communicating a sincere "thank you” with our postnatal bundles goes a long way in encouraging new mothers incentives to break their health habits of home births. In addition to essential postnatal care products, our bundles offer postnatal health education for rural mothers about mental and physical health, breastfeeding, nutrition, sanitation and hygiene, when to seek hospital care for themselves and their baby, the importance of giving birth in clinics, and the potential dangers of not doing so (especially in a country where ambulatory or outpatient care is inadequate or non-existent). Our bundles are tailored to meet the needs and wants of specific communities: mosquito nets are provided in malaria zones and nutritious porridge is offered to malnourished mothers. At $50, five times higher than rural hospital birth charges, our bundles provide effective incentives for mothers to choose safe hospital births. Your purchase of DoRight bracelets allows us to close the gap between home and hospital births and ensure that mothers are safe, healthy and happy.
See our postnatal bag
- Tags: What We Do
Our partners are mothers, midwives and hospitals.
In order to finance the essential postnatal bundles for mothers, we sell durable and beautiful bracelets. An amazing pool of women in Kenya's maximum security prison are committed to making 98% of our bracelets. Apart from training them, we are their highest payer and only employer from the outside. The income they earn helps these women support their children and buy snacks, self-care and hygiene products. The remaining 2% of bracelets are made on a voluntary basis by jewellery designer Rocky Bahir, who believes that healthy children build healthy nations and that behind every healthy child is a healthy mother supported by hospitals and care products.
Our health information packages are vetted and endorsed by the Midwives Association of Kenya. Nurses and doctors in three Kenyan hospitals routinely give our bundles to women to reward them for giving birth in their clinics: Lewa Conservation's Clinic in Northern Kenya, Kenya Fluorspar Hospital in Rift Valley and Shella Dispensary in Lamu. Forty-five bags a month are given to new mums who are grateful for the support and potentially life-saving gift for them and their newborn.
- Tags: Partners
Why I care about maternal health.
The words “Do Right” stand not just for doing right for maternal health, but also for human health and equal opportunities. This idea has been with me since I was a child; as a Canadian born to a Kenyan mother, I know how much of a backbone Kenyan mothers are to their children’s future success. I have witnessed rural Kenyan mothers risk their newborn’s and their own life because they have no access to postnatal natal care information. I have repeatedly seen new mums embark on long journeys home on foot after giving birth, with their naked newborn babies wrapped in old t-shirts and recycled, dirty blankets. For a grade 10 school project, I explored ways to rectify this burden of poor maternal health on rural women and created the DoRight postnatal bag and its educational pamphlet that I successfully tested in a few clinics in Kenya. My supervisor and math teacher encouraged me to help as many new mothers as I can by building the Do Right not-for profit social enterprise around its incentives for women to deliver in hospitals for safer births and healthier postnatal periods for mums and their babies.
- Tags: Founder